Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
A yummy cake where the chocolate chips don't melt and most of the ingredients are not fattening!!!! This cake is so easy and the cook looks so smart!!!
- 1 package chocolate cake mix (dark or milk, non-fat is good)
- 1 package instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 4 Egg Beaters egg substitute (or other egg substitute)
- 1 (12 ounce) package chocolate chips
- confectioners' sugar
- Mix all ingredients except the eggs, chocolate and confectioners sugar.
- Add eggs one at a time.
- Beat well with a mixer.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spray Pam on a Bundt pan and pour in the mixture.
- Bake for one hour at 350 degrees F.
- Cool for about twenty minutes and unmold.
- Sift confectioners sugar over the top.
- (sugar optional) Do not refrigerate.
Pretty good for low fat. I think an hour is way too long to bake though. Mine was done in 40 minutes and should have been taken it out after 35 a little too done for my taste. Guess it depends on your oven, mine is new. I used 4 egg whites (all I had) and 1/2 cup sour cream for extra moistness.
Very delicious! I used less chocolate chips and egg whites, but not sure this is low fat.
This was quite tasty. I don't really know if it is truly low fat considering the cake mix, chocolate chips, and pudding mix all have a bit of fat in them. (I have never seen a "fat free" cake mix in my grocery store) Keeping that in mind I also lowered the sugar content by using sugar free, fat free instant pudding mix, no sugar added applesauce and I cut the chocolate chips down to 6 ounces. I only had yellow cake mix on hand, so although the color looked a little strange, the cake was pretty yummy. The texture is somewhere in the middle between light and dense, but is moist and flavorful nonetheless. The batter was quite thick and I ended up needing to add about 1/3 of a cup more water to yield a better consistency. An hour seemed like a long amount of baking time so I set my timer for 45 minutes, and when I checked on it at that time it was perfectly done. I'm glad I checked it early when I began to smell the delicious aroma emanating from my oven, because if it had baked any longer it would have been much drier and harder in texture. Overall, this was a super easy, quick and tasty and I appreciate you sharing the recipe! We enjoyed it most slightly warm and with a cup of coffee.