Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe fits in with the south beach, GI and atkins diets as well as tastes delicious. Diets can make eating boring and leave you feeling hungry. After a few attempts, this made mr. nondiet love it. This was super easy to make and really a delicious treat while dieting. It also looks very "restaurant-ish" on the plate. Yummy.
- 2 small eggplants
- 1 (16 ounce) package fat free mozzarella cheese
- 1 (15 ounce) container fat-free ricotta cheese
- 6 teaspoons garlic salt
- 6 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 teaspoons parsley
- 2 teaspoons garlic granules
- 1 -2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (12 ounce) jar roasted sweet peppers
- cooking spray
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- mix the ricotta cheese in a small bowl with the pepper, granulated garlic and parsley.
- Place into fridge while preparing eggplant.
- Cut eggplant into 1/4 inch slices.
- In a flat plate mix olive oil and garlic salt.
- Then, dip eggplant slices into olive oil mixture and place on george foreman grill for 12 minutes each slice.
- Place a single layer of eggplant in a greased baking dish (use pam cooking spray).
- Place a spoonful of the ricotta mixture on top of eggplant, then one slice roasted pepper and another slice of eggplant on top.
- You may make these three layers by repeating the procedure.
- Top with a sprinkle of mozerella cheese and bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.
- It is delicious and very simple to make!
35 grams of carbs and 14 grams of sugars per serving does not constitute a low carb dish.This would actually be considered a high carb dish. This dish has a high glycemic index and is inappropriate for low carb diets.
This is for cheese lovers! My 2 eggplants came to almost 2 pounds. I did use almost 1/2 a cup of olive oil. In place of all the garlic salt I used 1 teaspoon fresh minced garlic and 1/2 teaspoon Rosemary Garlic Seasoning. I grilled the eggplant outdoors on high 3 minutes per side. I mixed 1/2 the mozzarella in with the ricotta, also added Rosemary Garlic Seasoning, 1 egg and 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes. Layered as directed making 2 layers. This does have a bit much cheese, the eggplant got lost in it. Gooey rich! I just noticed this serves 3. I would say more like 5-6. so the nutrition facts are off. I made a great recipe with the leftovers Zeeva22 Eggplant Stromboli. though not low carb.
I thought this was GREAT! Recipe IS first rate! Used pastry brush, oiled both sides, TRUE! Definately took 12 minutes on George Forman grill too! If people want to cut the oil intake, ALL they have to do is oil spray and BAKE! Makes me feel like treated myself today! They do look like you fussed, but you don't ok? THANKS!