Recipe by Cucina Italiana de Pepe
I found this recipe in a cookbook and I've made it many times. I have tweaked it to make it much better. I have used both chicken and turkey for this recipe and they both taste equally great. I hope you enjoy!
Top Review by mama smurf
Made this for My3 CHefs June 2012 tag game and this is really quite a simple and tasty dish. I did cut the recipe in half and added some sliced sugar peas (steamed in the micro for a few seconds) and added them to the onions and water chestnuts. Other than that I did follow the instructions...one I would make again. Thank you for posting.
- 1 lb ground chicken or 1 lb turkey
- 2 teaspoons mined fresh ginger (I sometimes substitute ground ginger out of the spice rack)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped water chestnut
- 1⁄3 cup thinly sliced green onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped peanuts (I use dry roasted)
- 12 large lettuce leaves (Bibb lettuce works great!)
- Chinese hot mustard (Can be found at most grocery stores and can be mixed with soy sauce to "tone down" the punch of the )
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine chicken, ginger and red pepper flakes in medium bowl.
- Blend soy sauce into cornstarch in cup until smooth.
- Heat wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil; heat until hot.
- Add chicken mixture; cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
- Stir soy mixture and add to wok. Stir-fry 30 seconds or until sauce boils and thickens.
- Add water chestnuts, onions and peanuts; heat through.
- Divide filling evenly among lettuce leaves, roll up. Secure with toothpicks. Serve warm or at room temperature. If you are using this recipe as a meal instead of an appetizer, leave filling in a bowl and arrange lettuce on a plate.
- Let everyone build their own! This makes for a fun dinner, especially for kids. Do not let filling stand at room temperature more than 2 hours. Serve with hot mustard. As stated above, the hot mustard cab be mixed with soy sauce to "tone down" the punch of the mustard.
- Makes 12 appetizers.