Cucina Italiana de Pepe's Note:
I found this recipe in a cookbook and I've made it many times. I have tweaked it to make it much better. I have used both chicken and turkey for this recipe and they both taste equally great. I hope you enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ground chicken or 1 lb turkey
- 2 teaspoons mined fresh ginger (I sometimes substitute ground ginger out of the spice rack)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup finely chopped water chestnut
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onion
- 1/4 cup chopped peanuts (I use dry roasted)
- 12 large lettuce leaves (Bibb lettuce works great!)
- Chinese hot mustard (Can be found at most grocery stores and can be mixed with soy sauce to "tone down" the punch of the )
- 1Combine chicken, ginger and red pepper flakes in medium bowl.
- 2Blend soy sauce into cornstarch in cup until smooth.
- 3Heat wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil; heat until hot.
- 4Add chicken mixture; cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
- 5Stir soy mixture and add to wok. Stir-fry 30 seconds or until sauce boils and thickens.
- 6Add water chestnuts, onions and peanuts; heat through.
- 7Divide filling evenly among lettuce leaves, roll up. Secure with toothpicks. Serve warm or at room temperature. If you are using this recipe as a meal instead of an appetizer, leave filling in a bowl and arrange lettuce on a plate.
- 8Let everyone build their own! This makes for a fun dinner, especially for kids. Do not let filling stand at room temperature more than 2 hours. Serve with hot mustard. As stated above, the hot mustard cab be mixed with soy sauce to "tone down" the punch of the mustard.
- 9Makes 12 appetizers.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Yummy Lettuce Chicken Wraps
Serving Size: 1 (78 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 86.4
- Calories from Fat 34
- Total Fat 3.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 26.4 mg
- Sodium 288.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 9.8 g