Prep 1 hr
Cook 40 mins
Well, I have to give credit to "ratherbeswimmin" on this one. It's her recipe that I've changed up to suit my own tastes and needs. It really is wonderful and each time I make it for someone new, I get the same response. "This is the best lasagna I've ever had!!!"
- 2 lbs Italian sausage
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (6 ounce) jar sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 8 ounces water (fill 1/2 of your diced tomato can)
- 24 ounces cottage cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 (1/2 lb) bagof grated mozzarella cheese
You will also need
- 1 (1/2 lb) baggrated mozzarella cheese, to top the lasagna
- 12 -15 lasagna noodles
- Brown Italian sausage, ground beef, onion, garlic and mushrooms. Drain.
- Add salt, parsley flakes, oregano, basil, diced tomatoes and tomato paste to browned meat: stir thoroughly.
- Simmer one hour if you have the time. If not, it tastes just fine if you let it simmer just 15-30 minutes.
- At this point, you may cook the lasagna noodles according to the package directions if you'd like but you don't have to. They will cook in the pan while you bake the lasagna, but it will make a difference in how you layer things.
- For cheese mixture: combine cottage cheese, eggs, pepper, dried parsley flakes, parmesan cheese and mozzarella in a separate bowl.
- If you cooked your lasagna first, layer it like this in a lasagna pan: noodles, meat sauce, cheese mixture. Repeat once. Top that off with one last layer of noodles and then top with remaining bag of mozzarella.
- If you did NOT cook the noodles first, layer it in a lasagna pan as follows: small amount of meat sauce on the bottom of the pan to prevent sticking, noodles, meat sauce, cheese mixture. Repeat once. DO NOT top off with a final layer of noodles. Just top with remaining bag of mozzarella. This is how I make it and it tastes wonderful and no one can tell the difference!
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30-40 minutes until cheese is slightly brown and bubbly. Once it is finished, allow it to sit for about 15 minutes. This will allow it to set up and it is incredibly easy to serve.
- Note: Original recipe called for 1 1/2 pounds of beef and a 1/2 pound of sausage. Obviously, I changed this because I prefer a lot of meat in my lasagna and I prefer the flavor of sausage over beef. You can change the meat around as you like -- I've tried all sorts of combinations.