Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs 10 mins
This is the famous or should I say 'infamous' Lancashire Hotpot - just one of the things that the UK is well know for food wise... This is a quick and easy recipe for the hotpot. Enjoy!
- 500 g diced lamb
- 2 tablespoons seasoned flour
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 stick celery, chopped
- 1 leek, sliced
- 3 -4 carrots, peeled and diagonally sliced
- 700 g potatoes, peeled and thickly sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped (1tbsp for garnish)
- salt and pepper
- 600 ml hot lamb stock or 600 ml vegetable stock
- 25 g butter
- Preheat the oven to 160c/gas3. Toss the lamb in the seasoned flour then shake off any excess. Heat the oil in a large flameproof casserole or frying pan, add the lamb and fry quickly stirring frequently until meat is sealed.
- Add the onion, celery, leek and carrots to the pan and fry quickly for a few minutes.
- Layer the meat, vegetables and half the potatoes in a large casserole, adding the herbs and seasoning. Top with a layer of potatoes, overlapping each other and pour over the stock - just up to the top potato layer.
- Cover with a tight fitting lid and cook for 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove casserole from oven and turn temp up to 200c/gas6.
- Melt the butter. Remove lid from casserole and brush potatoes with melted butter. Return to the oven for a further 20 minutes until golden and crispy. Sprinkle chopped parsley over top and serve.
This is the 2nd time I have made your recipe and my family LOVE it! So simple and warming. A wonderful winter dinner
Gorgeous in crockpot. Everyone loved it :)
god this meal was so nice. i have never had lancashire hotpot before and i have to say that it was wondeful. i cooked it in my crock pot all day and then finished it off in the oven when i came home, the meat was falling apart tender and the gravy was deliciously rich. mmmm what more can i say, its definately a keeper.