Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
Adapted from Fine Cooking.
- 3 cups whole milk
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate or 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped into small pieces
- For frothy hot chocolate: Bring the milk just to a boil.
- Put the chocolate in a blender and pour in the hot milk.
- Let sit for 10 to 15 seconds so the chocolate begins to melt and then cover securely, place a folded towel over the lid, and blend until completely mixed and frothy, about 30 seconds.
- For unfrothy hot chocolate: Heat the milk in a saucepan until it just begins to boil.
- Remove the pan from the heat, add the chocolate, and stir or whisk until well blended.
I also used semisweet chocolate. This was excellent. Hot chocolate the old-fashioned way. Rich, lovely chocolate flavor and heart-warming. Thanks for a blast from the past.
I made the frothy version and it was so good! I used semisweet chocolate for this.
We made this delicious frothy version Christmas morning. What a lovely treat and so incredibly easy. This will not be the last time this is made for this family. Thanks for sharing your recipe.