Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
I love cheese, it is one of my favorite foods. So naturally, I decided to create a homemade macaroni and cheese.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Boil pasta till al dente, drain.
- Melt butter in sauce pan over low/medium heat, add flour and stir till thick and chunky.
- Add milk and whisk until butter and flour mixture has blended.
- Let cook until milk becomes thick, stirring often.
- Add all cheeses 1/2 cup at a time, whisking until cheese has melted before adding next amount.
- Once all blended and melted add salt and pepper to taste then add garlic.
- Grease an 8x10 casserole dish, pour in pasta and cheese sauce, stir till mixed.
- Break up one sleeve of ritz crackers over the top.
- Bake 20 minutes.
My boyfriend and I used this recipe and it turned out great! A few adjustments were made as we didn't go out to buy the exact ingredients. The biggest change was that we used Chicken in a Biscuit crackers crumbled over the top instead of Ritz, we will probably continue to make it this way. We also substituted all the cheeses with shredded Mexican three cheese we had left over from another project. 2% milk was used in place of skim milk and no pepper was added, we couldn't find it.
It was a great dinner. And the leftover microwaves well too! I just add a freshly crumbled cracker to the top of the serving and it's just like before.
We will definitely be making homemade macaroni again and again in the future using this as our base recipe.