Prep 10 mins
Cook 55 mins
This is my favorite hamburger casserole. I like to serve it over the top of garlic mashed potatoes. Don't let it's unusual ingredients stop you from trying this--it is wonderful!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked instant rice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed tomato soup
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 4 cups coleslaw mix or 4 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Brown beef and onion in a large skillet; drain.
- Add beef back to skillet and stir in rice, salt pepper, soup and water; mix well.
- Place coleslaw mix in an ungreased 2 quart casserole dish.
- Spoon beef mixture over coleslaw.
- Cover and bake about 45 minutes.
- Uncover, top with cheese and pop back in oven for another 10 minutes uncovered or until cheese is melted and casserole is hot and bubbly.
This was easy & delicious!! It did seem weird to use coleslaw mix, but that's exactly what I did - one bag Dole Classic Coleslaw. I had a shredded cheese blend on hand so I used that. DH went for seconds!! The only thing I had to change was the casserole dish size. Couldn't fit all this good stuff in a 2-quart, so had to use a 3. This one goes in my "keeper" book for busy-night suppers. Thanks - MG!!
made this last night the only thing i changed is I added alittle red wine vinegar for alittle tang. This is a keeper tastes alot like cabbage rolls without the work.
I thought this was very good, but my husband and sons didn't care for it. I added 8 oz. of mushrooms (just because they needed to be used). I thought the coleslaw mix added a great texture to this dish. I think I would cook at a lower temperature or less time if I made it again as the hamburg got a little dried out.