Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Wow! I got this recipe from Sonscape in Colorado, and it's the best bread I've ever had! It's on the sweet side but not a dessert bread, great with soups.
- 1 1⁄8 cups water
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 6 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1⁄2 cup sunflower seeds (shelled of course)
- 2 teaspoons dry yeast (one packet)
- original recipe calls for 1 tablespoon gluten flour, 2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour, and 3/4 cups unbleached flour, but the above recipe works.
- Put the ingredients in the bread machine pan in the order listed, or in the reverse order if the manual for your machine calls for dry ingredients first and liquids last.
- Select basic wheat cycle, light setting, 1 1/2 pound loaf, (or the equivalent setting for your machine).
- Push start.
I took the basic outline on the recipe and adapted it to hand mixing and oven baking... . . . I made adjustments based on personal preference, whimsy and weather ;)- adding wheat gluten, flax meal, wheat bran...used raw honey and blackstrap and about 1/2 of what was stated of each...used coconut oil... two rises adding the seeds as it was hand foamed into an oval and brushing the top with additional honey , ground oats and a sprinkle of sea salt baked at 375 for approx 30 mins...came out simply wonderful...one of my best bread results to date...fabulous sweet nutty flavor...I lived on it for several days:)- so yummy wanted/needed little else- Thanks for the recipe share- this is a KEEPER!!! :)
Hmmm - not quite sure how to review this! I made it as is (subbing treacle for the molasses) - found it too wet, added more flour. Itwas too sweet, but my family loved it and ate it all up. So I made it again, cutting the honey and treacle by half. It's perfect for me - not as wet as before and tastes wonderful. Thanks for a superb bread!