Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
I know there are lots of other goulash recipes out there, but I particularly like this one because of the bacon and kidney beans. It doesn't call for any particular seasoning, but I like to add Italian seasoning and minced garlic. I also like to double the recipe and freeze 1 dish for a later date, although doubling this recipe is hard to do unless you have a really large pot! If you choose to freeze it, I would do so prior to baking.
- 59.14 ml bacon
- 680.38 g ground beef or 680.38 g ground turkey
- 2 green peppers, cut up
- 2 large onions
- 793.78 g can tomatoes (I like diced)
- 793.78 g can tomato sauce
- 425.24 g can kidney beans
- 170.09 g can mushrooms, drained (I used 1/2 cup fresh)
- 473.18 ml uncooked elbow macaroni, cooked
- salt and pepper
- 29.58 ml italian seasoning (estimate)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (estimate)
- grated parmesan cheese, to taste
- Fry bacon and cut into bite-size pieces. Set aside.
- Brown ground beef/turkey, onions, and green peppers in a large skillet.
- Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, kidney beans, mushrooms, Italian Seasoning, and garlic.
- Cover and cook at medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Stir in bacon and cooked macaroni.
- Place in lightly-greased 9x13 casserole dish.
- Sprinkle cheese on top and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
I made this for PAC. This was very good and very easy to put together!! I did not add the whole can of tomato sauce, instead added some beef broth as my husband has a hard time tolerating too much tomato sauce. I used the Italian seasoning and about 3 cloves of garlic. I did this on the stove top instead of bakin. This a great recipe and I can see a lot of variations we can do we this. THanks for a definite keeper!
This was very good with the exception that I believe the 2 TBS of Italian Seasoning is a bit much. Next time I think I will use just 1 TBS to see how that will be. I think I used too many noodles (Personal Preference - Egg Noodles) also, I don't know what I was thinking - I used 2 cups of dry instead of 2 cups of cooked, but my DH loved it just the way it was. I did add more mushrooms because we love them. I also added more garlic because we like a lot. Instead of baking, I threw everything in the crockpot and let it cook about 5 hours, putting the cheese on top at about the 5th hour. It was yummy. All in All it was very good and we will be having again.