Recipe by Bama Chef
I know there are lots of other goulash recipes out there, but I particularly like this one because of the bacon and kidney beans. It doesn't call for any particular seasoning, but I like to add Italian seasoning and minced garlic. I also like to double the recipe and freeze 1 dish for a later date, although doubling this recipe is hard to do unless you have a really large pot! If you choose to freeze it, I would do so prior to baking.
Top Review by pines506
I made this for PAC. This was very good and very easy to put together!! I did not add the whole can of tomato sauce, instead added some beef broth as my husband has a hard time tolerating too much tomato sauce. I used the Italian seasoning and about 3 cloves of garlic. I did this on the stove top instead of bakin. This a great recipe and I can see a lot of variations we can do we this. THanks for a definite keeper!
- 1⁄4 cup bacon
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef or 1 1⁄2 lbs ground turkey
- 2 green peppers, cut up
- 2 large onions
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes (I like diced)
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans
- 1 (6 ounce) can mushrooms, drained (I used 1/2 cup fresh)
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni, cooked
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons italian seasoning (estimate)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (estimate)
- grated parmesan cheese, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry bacon and cut into bite-size pieces. Set aside.
- Brown ground beef/turkey, onions, and green peppers in a large skillet.
- Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, kidney beans, mushrooms, Italian Seasoning, and garlic.
- Cover and cook at medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Stir in bacon and cooked macaroni.
- Place in lightly-greased 9x13 casserole dish.
- Sprinkle cheese on top and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.