Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
Not sure where I got this recipe--cut it from a box or can of something. I have been making it for over 15 years and always hear "yummy" from someone when they are eating it!
- 1 (18 1/2 ounce) box chocolate cake mix
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons margarine, softened
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 (14 ounce) canof eagle brand sweetened condensed milk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄4 cups confectioners' sugar
- To make cake:.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Prepare cake mix as package directs.
- Pour batter into well greased and floured 10-inch bundt pan.
- In small bowl, beat cream cheese, margarine and cornstarch until fluffy.
- Gradually beat in condensed milk then egg and vanilla until smooth.
- Pour cream cheese mixture evenly over cake batter.
- Bake 50 to 55 minutes until wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan.
- Cool thoroughly and then glaze.
- Melt margarine in small saucepan over low heat.
- Stir in cocoa and water.
- Cook stirring constantly until mixture thickens--DO NOT BOIL.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Gradually add confectioners' sugar and beat with wire whisk until smooth.
- Pour over cooled cake and store cake covered in refrigerator.
I made this same recipe from the Eagle Brand classic recipes cookbook. The only differences, I used butter instead of margarine and I used a square of unsweetened bakers chocolate in place of the cocoa powder. This cake is moist, flavorful and easy to make. It reminds me of a black bottom cheesecake. Yummy!
I have also been making this recipe for a long time and it's one of my favorites. I got it out of a cookbook called "Treasury of Christmas" from 1991 that had recipes from Lipton, Campbell's, Eagle Brand and others. The cream cheese layer sinks to the bottom of the pan when it's baking so when you turn the cake out onto a plate it's at the top and it's the best part of the cake. Kind of like cheesecake filling but sweeter, yum!!! You'll enjoy this cake!
Excellent!! I made one for my daughter to take to her college apartment. I have strict instructions from her roommate and neighbors that she is not to return from the weekend without another one! Today I made it for home and everyone loves it! Very rich.