Prep 8 hrs
Cook 10 mins
This is my take on the recipe that is usually printed on the box of Acini de Pepi. It has become one of our favorites. I even will eat the left-overs for breakfast. You can substitute the mandarin orange juice instead of the pineapple juice. Prep time includes letting it set overnight in the fridge.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 (11 ounce) cans mandarin orange sections, drained
- 1 (10 ounce) jar maraschino cherries, drained
- 3⁄4 cup shredded coconut
- 1 can crushed pineapple, drained reserving juice
- 1 can pineapple chunk, drained reserving juice
- 1 3⁄4 cups reserved pineapple juice
- 1 (8 ounce) bag miniature marshmallows
- 1 (8 ounce) container Cool Whip
- 1 (16 ounce) box acini di pepe pasta, cooked and drained
- Cook sugar, salt, eggs, flour and pineapple juice until thick and bubbly, cool.
- When cooked mixture is fully cooled, pour over pasta.
- Mix well, cover and store in fridge overnight.
- In the morning, add fruit, Cool Whip and marshmallows.
- Mix well.
Hi again Kari, Well I finally found the Acini di pepe pasta at Schnucks in Carbondle,Ill.And with the the change of pasta,from small shells to the acini di pepe,it really did change the whole recipe.I would up your stars for this recipe if I could,but can't.But Thank you for introducing me to the new pasta.This was a lot like a nice rice pudding with fruit,my husband doesn't care for maraschino cherries,but he loved this recipe,even with the cherries.This is a great recipe. Thanks, Darlene Summers
Spectacular variation on fruit salad! I did have to guess on some of the quantities because it wasn't clear enough in the recipe: I used 540ml of crushed pineapple, 540ml pineapple chunks, 1 litre container of Cool Whip, and 2 cups of dry pasta. This had great flavour & texture. Most people thought it was rice not pasta but loved it all the same.
This was a great sweet fruit addition to the meal.