Prep 35 mins
Cook 5 mins
Found this recipe online and I'm posting so I don't lose it before I get a chance to try it out. There are variations for ham, banana, and apple fritters here. Serving size is an estimate as none was given with the original recipe.
Basic Fritter Batter
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon melted margarine
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup milk (depending on which type of fritter you choose, see below) or 1⁄2 cup fruit juice (depending on which type of fritter you choose, see below)
- 1 dash salt
For Ham Fritters (use milk)
- 1 cup minced ham
For Banana Fritters (use milk or fruit juice)
- 6 bananas
For Apple Fritters (use fruit juice)
- 2 cups diced apples
- For basic fritter batter: Combine flour, baking powder and salt; stir to blend. Add egg and melted margarine; stir until well blended. Add milk (or fruit juice), mix well. Let stand 30 minutes.
- Ham Fritters: Add minced ham to basic batter. Drop by spoonfuls into hot oil and deep fry.
- Banana Fritters: Peel and quarter bananas. Dip bananas in batter and saute in margarine until golden brown on all sides.
- Apple Fritters: Stir apples into basic batter. Drop by spoonfuls into hot oil and deep fry.
- *Note* You can make peach or apricot fritters by using canned fruit. Use the fruit syrup for the liquid in the basic batter. Dice fruit and mix with batter. Deep fry as for the apple fritters.