Prep 9 hrs
Cook 15 mins
I found this Red Lobster copycat recipe on the web.
- 6 medium garlic cloves
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 -6 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in strips
- 1 1⁄2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- safflower oil (for deep frying)
- Mash garlic with flat side of knife. Place garlic in medium bowl.
- Add buttermilk, cumin, salt, pepper and cayenne and whisk to blend. Place chicken strips in 13 x 9-inch glass baking dish.
- Pour buttermilk mixture over; turn chicken to coat. Cover and chill at least 8 hours or overnight, turning occasionally.
- Place rack over baking sheet. Remove chicken from marinade and set on rack. Drain 10 minutes.
- Mix flour, salt, pepper, cumin and cayenne pepper in large bowl. Toss chicken strips in batches in flour mixture, turning to coat; shake off excess.
- Toss each piece again in flour mixture; shake off excess. Transfer chicken to rack on baking sheet. Let stand at least 15 minutes and up to 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to low. Line baking sheet with paper towels. Pour oil into heavy large skillet to depth of 3/4 inch.
- Heat oil over high heat to 375 degrees F or until small cube of fresh bread sizzles instantly when added.
- Add chicken strips to skillet. Adjust heat so that temperature remains between 340 and 350 degrees F or until small cube of bread sizzles slowly when added.
- Fry until chicken is golden brown and cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Using tongs, transfer chicken to prepared sheet and drain. Transfer chicken to platter and serve.
This takes a bit of prep work, but it is worth it. They are spicy but not too spicy, and the flavor of the marinade really soaks through. Never had them at Red Lobster, but it makes me want to! Thanks!