WI Cheesehead's Note:
From Cooking Free by Carol Fenster. This turned out great, even in a regular bread pan. Crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. Carol says: "Put this in a cold oven for a crisp crust and nice texture. If this doesn't work in your oven, let the bread rise until level with top of pan; then bake in preheated 425° F oven for 25-30 minutes. Use a pan specially designed for French bread." It is critical to cool bread completely before slicing and is easier to slice with electric knife. This is a quicker bread because you don't have to let it rise before baking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon sugar or 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1 1/4 cups warm water (110 F)
- 2 cups gluten-free flour (see Gluten Free Flour Blend)
- 1 cup potato starch or 1 cup arrowroot
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon guar gum
- 1/4 cup powdered milk (cow, rice or soy)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon Earth Balance margarine or 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 egg white, beaten for wash (optional)
- 1In bowl, dissolve sugar and yeast in warm water and set aside for 5 minutes, or until yeast foams.
- 2Grease French bread pan or line with parchment paper.
- 3In bowl of a Bosch or Kitchen Aid mixer, combine ingredients, except the egg wash, then add the yeast mixture.
- 4Beat on low speed to blend; beat on high speed for 2minutes, stirring down sides with spatula. Dough will be soft.
- 5Divide dough in half on the prepared pan. Smooth each half into 12-inch-long logs with wet spatula.
- 6Brush with egg wash for glossier crust, if desired. Make 3 diagonal slashes (1/8 inch deep) in each loaf so steam can escape during baking.
- 7Place immediately on the middle rack of a COLD oven. Set the temperature at 425° F and bake for 30-35 minutes, until nicely browned.
- 8Remove bread from pan; cool completely on wire rack before slicing with electric knife. Makes 2 loaves.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Yummy Foolproof Gluten Free French Bread!
Serving Size: 1 (33 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 45.0
- Calories from Fat 4
- Total Fat 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 1.5 mg
- Sodium 193.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 1.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Earth Balance margarine