My grandmother gave me this apple pie recipe after she made it for me during a visit about 5 years ago. I like to use Granny Smith apples, leave the peel on, and cut slices that are a little thick, but do whatever you wish! This is a very good pie and I'm always asked to make it! Thanks, Grandma!! (Very good served with vanilla ice cream!)
- pastry for single-crust pie
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups thinly sliced peeled apples
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup caramel ice cream topping
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- Prepare pastry for single-crust pie, being careful not to stretch dough too much.
- Place in pie plate and trim and crimp the edge.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt.
- Add apple slices and gently toss until they are coated well.
- Transfer mixture to pie.
- FOR CRUMB TOPPING: Stir together brown sugar, flour, and oats.
- Using a pastry blender, cut in the butter until topping resembles coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle over apple mixture in pie.
- To prevent over-browning while baking, cover edge of pie with foil.
- Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 25 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake 25 to 30 minutes more, or until top is golden.
- Remove from oven.
- Drizzle top with caramel topping; sprinkle with pecans.
- Cool on wire rack and serve!