Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
- pastry for single-crust pie
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups thinly sliced peeled apples (1/2 Macintosh, 1/2 Granny Smith)
- 2⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 3⁄4 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup toasted pecans, chopped
- Use foil on bottom of oven rather than a cookie sheet under pie pan.
- Prepare pastry for single-crust pie.
- Place in pie plate and trim and crimp the edge; refrigerate 30 minute loosely covered with plastic wrap.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and salt.
- Add apple slices and gently toss until they are coated well.
- Transfer mixture to pie.
- FOR CRUMB TOPPING: Stir together brown sugar, flour, and oats.
- Using a pastry blender, cut in the butter until topping resembles coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle over apple mixture in pie.
- To prevent over-browning while baking, cover edge of pie with foil.
- Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 25 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake 25 to 30 minutes more, or until top is golden.
- Remove from oven.
- Cool on wire rack about an hour and serve!
I have to give this recipe 5 stars because I made it for the first time yesterday, entered the pie in our local Park District's Pie Contest and won the 'Best Tasting Pie' award! That says alot about the recipe because I am not a very experienced pie maker at all. For future reference, it took 4 large Granny Smith apples to get my 6 cups of sliced apples for the recipe. I peeled and cored the apples and cut them into 12 slices each. Thanks for the great recipe.
The BEST ever apple pie! I was going to post this same recipe, but I first did a search to see if it were posted yet. My neighbor, Jill, brought this pie to us when a friennd of my husbands and his family were killed in a car accident. My husband kept asking me everyday for about a week to get the recipe from Jill. I finally got it and it's the ONLY apple pie recipe I use! I also use Granny Smith apples and I peel and slice them very thin. I use only about 4 - 4 1/2 cups of sliced apples and it works perfect for a normal size 9-inch pastry.
I always considered myself a good cook, but not a great baker until I made this pie! It is absolutely perfect!!! It is the first pie that I made that actually was totally devoured. Since I don't bake that much I did use Pillsbury's Pie Crust and baked it for 5 minutes in a 350 degree oven first and used MacIntosh apples instead of Granny Smith because we just went apple picking with the kids and had a ton :). Other than that, the only other thing I used differently was instead of regular cinnamon I used Pampered Chef's Cinnamon Plus (lots of parties I went to :)) and sprinkled some on top of the crumb topping before baking as well. Anyone who loves pecan pie would also love this recipe. So many people thought that it was a pecan pie with apples because of the consistency. The only other note I would mention is that you should completely cool the pie before cutting. My husband couldn't wait to get into it while it was still warm and it oozed out a bit, but the cooled pie was absolute perfection. Great Recipe Wendy...10 stars!!!