Recipe by Mama's Kitchen (Hope)
Easy and healthier way to get crispy tasty fish. NOTE: you MUST use the right pan! Please be sure to use a broiler pan so the breading gets hot air on the bottom too and isn't soggy on the bottom when you go to turn it. I have never had the breading fall off using this pan. If you don't care for cornmeal use panko. I have used mostly mild whitefish like tilapia with great results. Don't be scared by the number of ingredients—it is mostly spices and herbs. Please adjust the spices, especially salt, to your taste. I have tried to post a balanced blend here but feel free to adjust mild, spicy, lower sodium etc...
Top Review by cook630
I made this for my family last night and I was so excited until I took a bite. It was not a good combination for my liking, the cornmeal was not a pleasant texture, and would have been better off using Panko or another breadcrumb instead. Needless to say it was a waste of time and money. I didn't even serve it to my family... it went right into the trash. I also agree with another comment below. The breading stuck on the fish nice, until you turned it over, and then it all fell off in one large chunck. I would NOT reccommend this recipe.
- 1 lb tilapia fillet
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown mustard or 1 tablespoon honey mustard
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, adjust to your taste
- lemon wedge
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix milk, vinegar and mustard and let set for 15 minutes. This will make a mustardy, buttermilky dressing to coat the fish.
- In a separate bowl mix cornmeal with all the seasonings.
- Dip fish fillets in the milk mixture and then in the cornbread mixture.
- Spray broiling pan with cooking spray or brush with a little olive oil.
- Place fillets on prepared pan and place pan under broiler 4 inches from heat.
- Broil for 4 minutes per side or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
- Serve with lemon wedges if desired.