Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Found lots of broccoli on sale. Needless to say made this as a first course for friends. They loved it. My hubby who usually hates anything green even said it was good. Oh my, this may have to go in a record book if there is one for compliments.
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth or 5 cups vegetable broth
- 8 -9 cups broccoli florets, stems & pieces discarding any hard parts
- 3 tablespoons margarine
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk or 2 cups 2% low-fat milk
- ground black pepper
- Melt 2 Tbs margarine in medium-size stock pot.
- Add onions, celery, and garlic. Sauté until onion is translucent.
- Add broth and broccoli; bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer 15-20 minutes.
- Allow to cool about 20 minutes.
- In a blender or food processor purée entire broccoli mix.
- Return mixture to pot and keep warm.
- In a small sauce pan met 3 Tbs margarine.
- Add flour; blend well.
- Add milk; stir until thick and bubbly and then add to soup.
- Stir and season with pepper.
- Serves 8.
"VERY" yummy! 2 things I did differently. 1. I added the celery, onion and garlic to "3" TBL of butter and omitted it at the end. Added the broth and broccoli and simmered 5 min.I wisked 5 TBL of flour to 3 cups of milk and then added to soup. Brought it to a boil, then simmered for 5 or so minutes till broccoli was tender and flour was cooked. 2. I also did not puree the vegetables. I prefer having the pieces of broccoli in the soup. Delicious... Thank You!
Quick, easy, tasty, and my five year old ate it up. I did use real butter, extra garlic, and I peeled the stems and used them also. Also, fat free half and half works wonders! Thanks for a great basic recipe!
I've had this in my favorites for a while and finally made it tonight. It was so good! Not bland at all, I barely salted it and it was perfect. Definetly a keeper!