Prep 3 mins
Cook 20 mins
I had never had "fresh cranberry sauce" before I tried this, it was delicious. I got the basic idea of the recipe out of a magazine, but added the apple, and orange to add to the flavor.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 3⁄4 cups white zinfandel wine
- 6 whole cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 6 whole allspice
- 1 piece orange rind (a 3x2-inch piece)
- 1 granny smith apple (peeled and cored & diced)
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges (orange sections cut in half)
- 1 (1 lb) bag fresh cranberries
- In a sauce pan add sugar, brown sugar, the spices, orange peel, and wine.
- Stir together, and cook on medium heat until sugar is dissolved, and ingredients make a"syrup".
- Strain off spices (You can if preferred put spices in a piece of cheese cloth, and make a spice bag, then just remove the bag). Wash cranberries in a colander under cold water, and drain.
- Add the apple, the mandarin oranges, and the cranberries to the syrup, and cook over medium heat until the cranberries "pop".
- Cool and serve.