Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
An adapted recipe... tweaked to mine and the DBF's preference. Hope you enjoy! You can use any kind of chicken you prefer, we just happen to love dark meat! =D The sauce also freezes well, so if you have leftovers that you don't want to waste, pour it in a Ziploc bag and freeze!
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 teaspoon salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 medium yellow onion, quartered
- 2 cups carrots, sliced
- 2 cups potatoes, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened coconut milk
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes, diced
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons sugar (or to taste)
- Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Prep and chop veggies.
- Heat oil and curry powder in a large skillet over medium-high heat for two minutes.
- Stir in onions and garlic, and cook 1 minute more.
- Add chicken, tossing lightly to coat with curry oil.
- Reduce heat to medium, and cook for 7 to 10 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink in center and juices run clear.
- Pour coconut milk, tomatoes, tomato sauce, and sugar into the pan, and stir to combine.
- Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, approximately 40 to 50 minutes.
- Add carrots and potatoes. Remove lid and cook uncovered for an additional 15-20 minutes, or until sauce has thickened up some.
- Serve over steaming jasmine rice and enjoy!
I'm on a roll with your recipes Pearl! Made for PAC Spring/09. This was great! I halved the recipe for the two of us and reduced the curry powder as the brand I have is on the hot side. It was served over Basmati rice because that is what I had. Will definately be making this again.