Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Adapted from a recipe found on another online foodie site.
- 3 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 2 1⁄2 cups warm water
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 4 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄3 cup white sugar
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the yeast mixture with the cake mix and 3 cups of the flour; stir to combine.
- Add the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring well after each addition.
- When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes.
- Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil.
- Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 30 minutes.
- Deflate the dough and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Roll the dough into a 10 x 16 inch rectangle.
- Spread the softened butter over the rectangle; sprinkle on brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Starting from one of the long sides, roll up the rectangle and cut into 1 inch wide rolls. Discard end pieces.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit (190 degrees C).
- Grease a 9 x 13 inch baking pan.
- Pour the melted butter into a small bowl and the white sugar in another small bowl.
- Dip the top of each roll in the melted butter, dip in the sugar.
- Place the topped rolls snugly into the prepared pan.
- Cover the rolls with a damp cloth and let rise until doubled in volume, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit (190 degrees C) for 25 to 30 minutes, or until rolls are golden and cooked through.