Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
A warming comfort food, this soup is served frequently at our house in the cooler months. Fabulous when served in bread bowls! Prep time considers cleaning and chopping fresh vegetables.
- 6-8 medium red potatoes
- 473.18 ml water
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 236.59 ml mushroom, sliced
- 118.29 ml chopped celery
- 59.14 ml bacon or 59.14 ml bacon bits (optional)
- 44.37 ml butter or 44.37 ml margarine
- 44.37 ml flour
- 709.77 ml milk
- 2.46 ml sugar
- 236.59 ml shredded cheddar cheese
- 473.18 ml cubed cooked ham
- ground black pepper
- crushed red pepper flakes
- Peel Potatoes and cut into 1 inch cubes.
- Boil in water until done, about 15 minutes.
- Drain & Set aside, but save 1 Cup of the cooking liquid for later.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion, celery, and mushrooms, stirring frequently until onion is soft and translucent.
- Add flour, bacon, red and black pepper to saucepan.
- Mix well, cook 3- 4 minutes.
- Slowly add potatoes, reserved cup of liquid, milk, and sugar.
- Stir well.
- Add cheese and ham.
- Simmer over low heat 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
So thick and chunky; it can easily be a meal on it's own. I used the optional bacon bits (I used the Hormel reduced-fat Real Bacon Bits). I loved the addition of the mushrooms. I used about 1/2 tsp of red pepper flakes, and that added just the right amount of "kick" for me. Thanx for sharing this recipe. We'll have this again.