1 hr 45 mins
I made this for Mom last week when she was sick & she loved it, since she hadn't been eating that was a small victory in itself, she polished off an entire bowl which is unusual for her. I usually change things up when I cook and this time I added some kale and it turned out wonderfully! I was originally going to just grab a rotisserie chicken but they didn't have any so I improvised & I think it came out better for it. Do try this version of an old classic for some seriously healthy comfort food!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 chicken thighs, split so bone is exposed (you can add more thighs if you like more meat)
- 2 -3 tablespoons McCormick's french herb roasting rub
- 1 gallon water (I use sparkletts)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon Greek oregano
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon concentrate (I use better than bouillon chicken base by Superior Touch)
- 5 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped (optional)
- 1 (12 ounce) bag baby carrots (approx size)
- 1 bunch kale leaf, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 lb wide egg noodles
- 1Heat oven to 350.
- 2I've added onion as optional as Mom can't tolerate it so I left it out for her. I usually add it in so use your own discretion.
- 3After you've split the thighs to expose the bone sprinkle both sides liberally with the McCormick's rub and roast on greased (or buttered) foil in broiler pan for about 20 minutes per side. Remove & shred/chop chicken.
- 4In large stock pot add thigh meat, bones (yes, the bones, they add nice flavor) and next 10 ingredients. Boil for about an hour and a half.
- 5Remove bones, add egg noodles & continue boiling according to package directions.
- 6Serve & enjoy. This really has a lovely wholesome flavor and is heavier on the chunky stuff than broth so if you like a little more broth add more water in the beginning steps as the egg noodles will soak up quite a bit of it.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Yummy Chicken Soup
Serving Size: 1 (352 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 15
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 180.7
- Calories from Fat 47
- Total Fat 5.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 46.5 mg
- Sodium 175.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 8.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
McCormick's french herb roasting rub
chicken bouillon concentrate