Recipe by ChefJulieS
My boyfriend and I came up with this dish by combining several recipes and adding a few touches of our own. It is our favorite dinner to cook together. This curry may not be "authentic", but it sure is yummy. It is a medium spicy curry and is much better than the local takeout place. I like to add various peppers out of the garden in addition to the bell pepper.
- 2 fresno bell peppers, diced (look like red jalapenos)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (2 cloves)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into small, bite-sized pieces
- 1⁄2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional, for extra heat)
- 1 medium zucchini, halved and sliced
- 1 roma tomato, cut into large hunks (or other low water variety)
- 1 bell pepper, diced (I like orange best)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 lb spinach, torn into bite-sized pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- In a wok over medium-high heat, saute the garlic and Fresno peppers in the olive oil for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the onion and saute until the onion just begins to caramelize (2-3 minutes).
- Add the chicken and fry until lightly browned (approx. 5 minutes).
- Add the brown sugar, chili powder, curry powder, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper (optional). Stir to coat chicken.
- Add the zucchini, Roma tomato, bell pepper, and chicken broth. Stir. Cook uncovered for 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the spinach, and cook for 2 minutes until the spinach begins to wilt.
- Serve over rice or couscous. Enjoy.