Recipe by mommycook
My Mom got this recipe from a friend who moved to the States from India. We always made this recipe growing up and it's still a favorite. You can control the heat by decreasing or increasing the red pepper. It is medium heat the way it is written.
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger powder
- 2 lbs cut-up chicken, with deep scores in them (I often use 6 skinless, boneless breasts)
- 4 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tomatoes, chopped
- 3 ounces tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- cooked basmati rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together first 6 ingredients in a large bowl with a lid.
- Add chicken and cover.
- Place in fridge to marinate at least 3 hours- preferably over night.
- In a large, deep frying pan or electric skillet, heat cooking oil on medium.
- Add mustard seeds and cook until they pop (you may want to cover the pan during this).
- Add tumeric, garam masala, medium onion, tomato and tomato paste.
- Simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chicken and sour cream mixture.
- Simmer on medium for 15 minutes.
- Add 1 cup water and salt.
- When mixture comes to a boil, cover and simmer on low for about 45 minutes.
- Serve chicken with the lovely gravy it is in over basmati rice and poori if available.