Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
At our house, we go crazy for this dish. Serve this with garlic mashed potatoes and you'll think you've died and gone to heaven. I sometimes double the sauce... Enjoy!
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme, dried
- 3 -4 lbs cut up chicken, skin on
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom, sliced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, fresh
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup apple juice
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Mix flour, salt, pepper and thyme in a plastic bag. Shake chicken to coat well.
- In a frying pan, brown chicken in butter. Remove chicken and place in a casserole dish. Add onions and mushrooms to the frying pan; cover and simmer for 3 minutes. Pour the onions, mushrooms and butter over the chicken.
- Mix together the lemon juice, sugar, salt and apple juice. Pour over the chicken.
- Bake for 1 hour at 325°F.
This recipe lived up to its name! It was absolutely delicious and we'll make it again. Followed your suggestion about doubling the sauce and the garlic mashed potatoes. thanks!
Lovely! This is one of of those recipes that is way more than a sum of its parts. Way better than you would expect from reading the recipe! So simple, but really great flavour. I found I needed more of the flour mixture to coat the chicken than stated, but that was easy to do with so few ingredients. I used more than the amount of stated mushrooms, probably half the butter, and a bit more lemon juice. Just great chicken flavour, with a nice tang from the lemon, a bit of sauce that I basted over the chicken several times while cooking. I cooked a bit less time than stated because it was cooked through, and why take the chance of drying it out? This will go into my "go to" file of easy, tasty dishes to make again!
I saw the ingredients and knew this had to be fabulous (I'm a great fan of thyme)--and I was right! I bought 3 chicken breasts with skin on--which I rarely get--and threw in a leftover skinless breast and it was delicious both ways. I did add just a bit more thyme than it says and doubled the mushrooms.