Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
The low-fat crust is easy to make, so the bars can be assembled in only 20 minutes. cherry, raspberry, or strawberry preserves as you prefer.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 3⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped pecans or 1⁄2 cup walnuts
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 1⁄4 cups cherry preserves (raspberry, or strawberry preserves are also good)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9x9x2-inch baking pan with foil, extending the foil over the edges of the pan; set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, oats, brown sugar, pecans, lemon peel, and baking soda. Stir in applesauce and oil; mix well. If necessary, knead by hand to combine. Measure 1 cup of the oat mixture; set aside.
- Press the remaining oat mixture into the bottom of the prepared baking pan. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Carefully spread the preserves evenly over the hot crust. Sprinkle with the reserved oat mixture; pat gently into preserves.
- Bake about 30 minutes more or until top is lightly browned. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Using the edges of the foil, lift the uncut bars out of the pan. Cut into bars.