Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This rich and creamy soup is served at Victoria & Albert's, the Walt Disney World resort's only five diamond restaurant. This can also be vegetarian by replacing the chicken stock with carrot juice.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 pinch dried basil, crumbled
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 cup chopped parsley
- 1 cup diced onion
- 10 carrots, diced
- 1⁄4 cup diced celery
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup sliced ginger (to taste) or 1⁄4 cup sushi pickled ginger (to taste)
- 2 quarts heavy cream
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat the butter in a 4-quart pot over medium heat untill smoking. Add the garlic, basil, bay leaf, parsley, onions, carrots, and celery. Saute 5 to 10 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
- Deglaze the pot with chicken stock. Add the ginger and bring to a boil. Add the heavy cream. Turn heat to low and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, stirring gently as soup thickens. Do not boil.
- Remove the bay leaf. Pour soup into a blender and puree. Strain through a fine mesh strainer into a seperate container. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve.