Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Another cabbage dish which we love in our house. This is a quick side dish that goes well with pork and corn bread.
- 2 large onions
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 green bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 large tomatoes (chopped)
- Sauté onion in oil in a large skillet over medium heat until light brown, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in cabbage, celery, carrots, green pepper and mushrooms; sauté 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the sugar and the salt and pepper; mix gently.
- Spoon tomatoes on top of vegetables.
- Cover and cook over low heat until vegetables are crisp-tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
I enjoyed this for lunch this afternoon with white bread. I halved the quantities of cabbage, celery and carrots. Also, I didn't have mushrooms on hand so couldn't use those. Besides, I omitted the green capsicum as well. This was very tasty and ready in a jiffy! Thank you very much for this recipe. I think this will go well with tandoori chicken:)
Tasty side dish. I made 2 changes. Replaced vegetable oil with beef broth and instead of salt, used fresh basil. I also used splenda in place for the sugar. I froze the rest of the dish with hopes that it will re-heat well.
Took your advice,Darlene and served this under a pork roast that I had cookin all day and had a #1 dinner,Everyone raved about how good the cabbage was!!This was easy as pie to make and I will be making this one again!!!Thanks for sharing!!P.S.I didint change a thing!