Got this recipe from Louisville Chef, Nancy Russman, but made a few minor tweeks. This simple and easy recipe bursts with flavor and perfect for busy nights, but also good for lunch. For the bread, I love the Italian flavors, so I use freshly made Garlic Parmesan loaf and prepare it as you would garlic bread. You may if desired use bread sliced as is, but I prefer to bake it in the oven Texas toast style as I don't like the bread mushy from the gravy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- thickly sliced garlic parmesan Italian bread (depending on number of sandwiches)
- 1 lb deli sliced turkey breast
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (14 ounce) can Swanson chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning (can be subbed with a pinch of basil, oregano, sage, crushed red pepper, thyme, rosemary)
- 1/8 teaspoon coursely ground black pepper
- finely shredded mozzarella cheese or parmesan cheese, portion as desired
- 1Slice freshly baked bread thickly as desired.
- 2Spread unsalted margarine on one side of each slice. Sprinkle garlic powder, parsely, and oregano on buttered side of each slice of bread.
- 3Place slices of bread, unbuttered side down on baking sheet. Bake in the oven at 375 for 7 minutes.
- 4Melt 4 tbsp butter in saucepan on medium heat. Add 4 tbsp flour to make a roux.
- 5The roux will turn to a light reddish brown color and have a breadlike, nutty aroma when done.
- 6Add chicken broth and stir with whisk.
- 7Add garlic powder and italian seasoning as gravy boils uncovered, sprinkle coursely ground black pepper sparingly.
- 8When gravy comes to a boil, add turkey and lower heat for 5 minutes or until turkey is warm.
- 9Place hot turkey and gravy on bread and sprinkle shredded cheese as desired. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Yummy but Simple Open Face Hot Turkey Sandwich
Serving Size: 1 (183 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 340.6
- Calories from Fat 185
- Total Fat 20.5 g
- Saturated Fat 9.7 g
- Cholesterol 105.2 mg
- Sodium 685.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 0.4 g
- Protein 30.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: