Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
I've seen a number of broccoli kugel recipes which are quick and easy, but I always had unsatisfactory results with them (broccoli always came out hard and dry on top). This one takes a bit more prep time, but the results are delicious. It's adapted from a recipe by Giora Shimoni.
- 2 lbs frozen broccoli
- 5 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 tablespoon onion soup mix
- 1⁄2 tablespoon chicken soup powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cook broccoli in a pot of boiling water until soft enough to mash with a fork.
- Drain, then mash broccoli.
- Thoroughly mix together broccoli and remaining ingredients in a large bowl. (I've used low fat mayo with mixed results, so usually prefer full fat mayo.).
- Pour mixture into greased 8 x 8 baking pan. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
Delicious! This was my first attempt at broccoli kugel. I halved the recipe, and microwaved the broccoli to defrost and then used the immersion blender to mash. Thank you for this!
This was really delicious. I didn't have whole wheat flour, so I used all purpose and it came out absolutely perfectly. Great flavor, great texture....everyone loved it! This will definitely become a regular recipe for us! Thanks!