Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is a great seafood gumbo that is famous in Biloxi, Mississippi. It takes a while to cook, but it is well worth the time. It is good enough to eat as the main dish, or you can use it as an appetizer as well.
- 4 pieces bacon
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 large bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon of louisiana cajun seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 teaspoons Tabasco jalapeno sauce
- 1 tablespoon garlic salt
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 64 ounces frozen okra (thawed)
- 1 lb sirloin steak, finely sliced into chunks
- 1 sausage, quartered
- 1 ham steak, sliced into cubes
- 20 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 cans chicken broth (about 24 ounces total)
- 1 -2 lb of uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 lb crabmeat (optional)
- 2 cups rice (optional)
- In a large Dutch oven pot, fry the bacon until crispy.
- Remove bacon and set aside.
- In the bacon grease, fry down and Onion, celery, Bell-pepper, and garlic.
- Add salt, pepper, thyme, Cajun seasoning, white pepper, Tabasco, and garlic salt.
- Cook until reduced.
- About 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, go through all of your thawed frozen okra and remove the hard okra tops.
- Add your cornstarch to your onion mixture and stir to remove any lumps.
- Stir until nice and thick.
- Add your okra to the pot and simmer on low heat until all the slime is gone.
- (1 ½-2 hours).
- Stir occasionally to prevent burning.
- Fry your sausage in a separate skillet and drain.
- Take a hand mixer and mix the okra mixture until all the okra is broken up into small pieces.
- Add sirloin steak, ham, sausage, tomato sauce, and chicken broth.
- Stir well and let simmer on low heat for another hour.
- Be very careful not to burn.
- Add shrimp and crab meat (cook for 30 more minutes until fishy smell is gone and shrimp is thoroughly cooked) Serve over rice (or alone if you can't eat rice).