Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Breakfast bar from Dr Furhman.
- 2 cups quick old fashioned oats (not instant)
- 1⁄2 cup shredded coconut
- 1⁄2 cup raisins or 1⁄2 cup chopped dates
- 1⁄4 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened applesauce (optional)
- 1 tablespoon date sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Press dough in a 9x9-inch baking pan and bake for 30 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack. When cool, slice into squares or bars and serve.
I followed the recipe to the letter (left out the sugar) and they were just awful. They were rubbery and very thin. I definitely wouldn't make them again.
I was in the middle of making these for a coworkers birthday and the panic of "OMG too healthy!" set in so I covered them in chocolate. Funny, it worked and they were eaten with glee. They are really close to my breakfast bar recipe I use which I noticed when I was half done mixing them. Not very dessert-y but works with the chocolate. I made them in texas sized muffin tins and then quartered them. Makes me wonder if I should mix in a handful of chocolate chips the next time I make breakfast bars. Hrm!
I love that it was quite simple. I didn't have the shredded coconut and decided not to add sugar; leaving it to the raisins and bannanas to sweeten the bars. I will definitely make again maybe with some slight variations! Thanks!