Recipe by mamamain
Very easy to make. Can use honey or sugar, milk or water, raisins or not, and add spices if you like. I really enjoy this one. I hope you will too. It reminds me a lot of the Banana Bread my Mom used to make.
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cups mashed bananas
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄4 cups honey or 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup walnuts or 3⁄4 cup pecans, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift together first 7 ingredients. Set aside.
- Mash bananas and mix in lemon juice. Set aside.
- Beat shortening and honey or sugar together at medium speed.
- Continue beating and add eggs in one at a time, Be sure to scrape bowl.
- Add milk or water alternately with dry ingredients. Mix slowly. Fold in bananas and nuts, and raisins if used.
- Pour into 2 greased 8 1/2" x 4 1/2" loaf pans. Bake 350 for about 1 hour or till wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool about 10 minutes and then turn out of pans onto wire rack and continue to cool. These loaves freeze very well. (If there is any left!).
- You can also make muffins, just reduce cooking time.