Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is the best banana bread I have ever had!! It is so moist, I believe it is due to the over ripe bananas and the sour cream. You must try it!!!
- 1⁄2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour (unbleached)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup very ripe banana (the riper the better, I wait until the entire peel is very dark brown)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts (optional) or 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- With an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, next add the eggs; beat thoroughly.
- Add the honey and mix well.
- Sift in the dry ingredients.
- Blend well.
- Add sour cream, bananas and vanilla; again blend well.
- At this time if you are adding nuts add them and mix them thoroughly.
- You can bake this as muffins, mini breads or a bread, it's up to you.
- Adjust the baking time to the choice you make.
- For a bread bake one hour or until a toothpick comes out of the center and its clean.
Great recipe, polly. On my next batch though, I'm going to add more banana and a smidgen of banana extract for a little more distinct banana flavour. I made them as muffins and they were done after about 45 minutes. I took about 1/2 of them, along with a stick of butter, to work and left them by the coffee maker. They were gone within an hour.
Mmmmmmm ... I made muffins (complete recipe: 18), baked them for 25 minutes ... I also added banana extract ... thanks, this one is a keeper!!
This bread recipe is excellent! It was indeed very, very moist and has a wonderful flavor. I used really, really over-ripe bananas and I added 1/2 tsp. banana extract. If you make the loaf rather than muffins, allow the bread to cool a bit in the pan first - it smelled so good that I just couldn't wait for it to cool. When I tried to take the still warm loaf out of the pan, it split in half because it is so tender. We dug in anyway - and is was delicious! A real keeper.