Recipe by bakedapple42
This recipe is a better adaptation of the "perfect" macaroni and cheese recipe from the MS website. To save $$, I get the various cheese "ends" that most grocery deli counters offer at a discount. The greater the variety of cheeses used, the better this recipe tastes!
Top Review by landlocked #2
I had real high expectations for this dish. All of the ingredients together sounded like it would make an amazing tasting mac & cheese. Not so much. It was very creamy, but kind of bland. But, the nutmeg taste was very visible. Which surprised me (and my family). I used mild cheddar and Swiss cheese as suggested, for the cheese sauce and then added the Parmesan cheese to the top. I think I will stick to my tried and true recipe from my Betty Crocker cookbook. Made for PAC Spring 2010.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups milk (warm)
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 4 cups cheese, shredded (mild Cheddar, Swiss, and American are a good mix, but use what you have on hand)
- 1 (14 -16 ounce) box macaroni, cooked (any type you prefer)
- 6 tablespoons parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F Coat a casserole dish with butter or olive oil spray.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan, stir in flour gradually and whisk until smooth. Cook 1 minute.
- Whisk in the warm milk & cook until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and stir in all the spices and the 4 cups cheese. NOT the parmesan. Stir until all cheese is melted. (The mixture should have a smooth consistency).
- Stir in the cooked Macaroni until well coated with sauce.
- Pour mixture into buttered casserole. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over top.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until hot & bubbly with slightly browned edges.