Recipe by DDW
This is another TOH from 99 and has become our family favorite. This salad will keep for up to a week in the refrigerator. The original recipe calls for all green apples but I prefer the combination of both red and green. Same with the grapes - add a few red if you like. My kids don't care for nuts so I usually leave them out. This is a great fruit salad for entertaining since it makes a lot. The cooking time is chilling time after it has been prepared
Top Review by Junebug
This salad was an easy salad to make and the directions were very clear. I added more pineapple and did not use the pecans. I made this Apple Salad on Saturday to take to Easter lunch on Sunday. The apples did not turn brown. And the name says it all...it is Yummy! Thanks for posting this DDW!
- 1 (20 ounce) can unsweetened pineapple chunks
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 cup mayonnaise (don't sub. salad dressing)
- 8 cups chopped apples, green and red
- 2 cups green grapes
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 3⁄4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice.
- Set the pineapple aside.
- Place juice in a saucepan; add butter, sugar and lemon juice.
- Bring to a boil.
- Combine the cornstarch and cold water until smooth.
- Add to the saucepan, stirring constantly.
- Return to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Stir in mayonnaise.
- In a large bowl, combine pineapple, apples, grapes, poppy seeds and cooked dressing.
- Fold in pecans just before serving.