Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 hrs
Tip for oatmeal: make it in the crock pot overnight! It comes out very creamy from the slow cooking, and I love being able to get up and have that hot steamy bowl right away without having to do anything at all. You do have to clean up the crock pot, but you can make a large quantity and refrigerate the leftovers to be heated in the microwave for the next several days. I use two cups of oatmeal at a time, which is enough for four breakfasts (for me, anyway; probably more for people who don't have huge bowls like I do).
- Put the oats and the water, along with anything else you want to add to the mix in the crock pot, turn on to low, and go to bed thinking about what a great breakfast you're going to have!
- I scoop it out of the crock pot and eat it with maple syrup, or blueberry syrup, or pourable fruit, and soy milk--yum!
- To reheat leftovers, I usually add a little water, and stir it a couple of times while microwaving until it's hot.
- You can add other flavorings as you like, such as dried fruits, other sweet spices, diced apples, etc.
- I usually put raisins on after it's cooked because I like them chewy.
- I've been meaning to try dried cranberries.
Last winter, I made oatmeal in the crockpot just about every week. I like to substitute apple juice for the water and I sometimes add dried cranberries as well as the cinnamon. Delicious! Even my daughter (now 23 mos) loves this nice hot (and healthy!) breakfast.
Nice to wake up and switch on the coffee pot and have nice hot oatmeal already ready to eat. This recipe is great. It is easy to prepare, inexpensive, and healthy. I like my oatmeal with rasins or sometimes I will slice a bananna, add some chopped walnuts, and brown sugar. The dried cranberries, I will be trying next time. I have heard of people making bread pudding with leftover oatmeal too.
Yup, this was as easy as she said. I added dates to mine, about 3/4 C. Tasted yummy and extremely creamy. I do think though that it was probably done at least 2 hours sooner than the recipe suggested. Got leftovers in the fridge for tomorrow.