Recipe by GlutenFreeGirl
I made these cookies last night and they were delicious. They were very easy to make and the clean up was easy as well. The only thing I would do different next time is double the batch, I only got 10 cookies and they were all eaten in 15 minuetes.This cookie will definetly have a special place reserved on my Christmas cookie tray.
- 2 egg whites
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 cups shredded coconut
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- maraschino cherry (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium size bowl with an electric mixer, beat the egg whites and salt together until they form soft peaks, then sprinkle in the sugar and continue beating until peaks are stiff.
- Add almond extract and give it a quick buzz with the beaters just to incorporate it.
- Now, with a wooden spoon stir in half the coconut;then the nutmeg;then the flour;then finally fold in the remaining coconut.
- Using a scoop or just working with two spoons, form snowballs a couple of inches apart on your cookie sheets--aim for about 10 so that you can keep them on the same sheet.
- Press half a maraschino cherry in the top of cookie.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or less time if you make small ones, just until they are a light and golden colour.
- Remove cookie tray from oven, remove the cookies to a cooling rack and let cool.