Recipe by RotiJala
The aroma of coconut, almond extract, sugar and egg baking in the oven is enough to make my salivary glands happy. The added tanginess of the dried cranberries and slight crunchiness of the almond nibs are a bonus on top of all that yummy goodness. This recipe is my own concoction. If you have a very sweet tooth, increase the sugar content by 2 tablespoons for the base.
Top Review by Outta Here
These really taste good, but I had a problem with the base layer. The instructions did not say to cool it after the first bake, and I tried to spread the topping and the base was too soft and the crust got pushed to the outsides, where it got too hard during the second bake. Next time I will completely cool the crust before spreading the topping on. But like I said, they taste really good!
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup molasses (Melasse in German)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup butter, gently melted
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 3⁄4 teaspoon almond extract or 3⁄4 teaspoon almond essence
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup desiccated coconut
- 2⁄3 cup dried cranberries (pre-soak them in lemon juice if you like 'tangy'!)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped almonds or 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven. Mix flour, coconut, sugar, soda and salt. Add butter and molasses and mix until crumbly.
- Press mixture into greased (or baking-paper lined) 9ï¿½x13ï¿½ (23cmx33cm) pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 10 minutes.
- Stir sugar, molasses and almond extract into beaten eggs.
- Mix together flour, baking powder and salt and stir into egg mixture.
- Add coconut and cranberries and mix.
- Pour over crust, spreading evenly. Sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake at 350 F (175 C) for 25 minutes or until medium brown.
- Cool and ice with lemon frosting (optional).
- (Optional) Lemon frosting: Whisk 1 cup powdered sugar with 3 tsp of lemon or lime juice. Add a bit of milk or more juice to achieve the taste and consistency you prefer.
- NOTE (for first reviewer): You need not cool the bottom layer after first bake - just dollop the topping over it and be very careful in spreading or flattening it, use a light hand. Thanks for trying it. Glad you liked the taste.