Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
This soup is so easy... but so good. A friend gave it to me years ago so I could use up the zucchini in the garden. It freezes well too for those cold winter nights..but makes a great light summer meal.Garnish with sour cream and or parmesan cheese ( I prefer the sour cream).
- 8 zucchini, cut up
- 1 chopped onion
- 3 slices uncooked bacon, cut up
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- Put all ingredients in pot, cook on medium low heat until tender ( approximately 35-45 minutes).
- Let cool slightly.
- Blend soup mixture in blender.
- Serve with dab of sour cream/ parmesan cheese or both on top.
- One word of caution, do not fill the blender too full with hot soup, the lid will explode from heat expansion., I know I learned this the hard way.
Revision: Easy and delish. A couple of notes. I did not add seasoning salt. I add a NO salt all purpose seasoning, just a teaspoon and then a pinch of salt. I also used LOW salt broth.
I did add fresh chives to finish off the soup add the end of cooking. I thought it needed a bright fresh flavor. For my tastes in the second 1/2 of the batch, I did add 2 small garlic cloves, and a pinch of red pepper flakes.
But I like a lot of spice. It was very tasty and easy. I was very pleased.
Great recipe. I used ham instead of bacon to cut fat content. Thanks for posting.
This is a great recipe! We've been making it for a long time and have made some changes. We use beef broth rather than chicken and instead of seasoning salt we use garlic powder and just a touch of cayenne. We rarely add salt as the bacon takes care of that fairly well. Thanks for posting this recipe! We're actually making some tonight!