Recipe by llk2day
So simple to make, and just as good as candied yams that take so long! This is a great recipe for a holiday side dish, or anytime! A real time saver and great when theres just not enough room in the oven on Holidays. The little ones even like Yams this way.
Top Review by Zurie
I had a very nice rolled turkey breast roast to bake, and I'd always heard about this type of side dish with turkey, but never made it before. I found your recipe and followed your first method, expecting something exotic with the very plain meat. Your recipe was easy enough to make, and I didn't substitute anything, except for cutting up ordinary marshmallows as the mini's are not available here. I'm sorry, but no-one liked this. It was so sweet that my husband asked rather sarcastically why I didn't keep it back and served it with custard for dessert. The vanilla and coconut, I thought, were especially out of place here as the scent and flavour, with the meat, was a disaster. A very strange recipe. I was grateful that I'd also cooked plainer veggies to got with the meat. Thank you for posting.
- 2 large yams
- 1 cup pecans (chopped)
- 1 cup coconut
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar (or good sub. maple syrup)
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup mini marshmallows (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- ***1st Method.
- Cook yams in microwave, cool, peel, slice.
- Melt butter in a bowl in microwave.
- Mix in all ingredients except the yams and marshmallows, including a very small amount of the yam liquid.
- Place cut yams in an ungreased 9 x 12 Broiler safe baking dish.
- Drop the mixed ingredients on top by the spoonful.
- *Important-Do not stir in the ingredients, or smash up the Yams slices.
- Bake in hot oven at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top with the Mini Marshmallows.
- Place under low heat broiler just long enough for the Marshmallows to turn a golden brown.
- ***2nd Method: This method is very quick, and saves time and oven space on holidays.
- Microwave the prepared yams (see above) until bubbling hot on high for approximately 6-8 minutes.
- Top the hot yams with the marshmallows and set aside long enough for the marshmallows to melt some.
- Place under broiler set fairly low until the marshmallows are golden brown.
- Note: Watch carefully, the Marshmallows brown very quickly under the broiler.