Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
I received this from someone I don't even know in a recipe exchange. . too funny. . .but it's truly yummy as the title represents. Kids love it (and so do grownups). This recipe is made kid-friendly and mild, so if you prefer, feel free to jazz it up with spices such as garlic, onion, Italian Spices, Spike, Mrs. Dash or any other seasonings you like. You can also substitute out sausage for the beef. Bacon bits is another nice addition!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 8 ounces wide egg noodles
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup cottage cheese (can substitute 6 oz cream cheese if you like)
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- Cook noodles as per directions on the package (in the past, I have tried whole wheat noodles and they tend to fall apart in the oven).
- Brown meat in butter (I like to season with garlic, onion and italian seasonings). Add in tomato sauce. Simmer on low for 10 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, combine cottage cheese, sour cream, and noodles. Season with salt and pepper.
- In 9x13 pan layer 1/2 of noodle mixture, all of meat sauce and then remaining 1/2 of noodles. Top with shredded cheese (use as much as you like, but 1 cup is usually a good amount) and bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
It was easy to make and for our family just ok. Perhaps a family with little ones would like it more. I cut the recipe in half. I had to make two different noodle dishes. I seasoned the ground meat with garlic, italian seasoning, salt and pepper and added the tomato sauce. I put the noodles and white sauce on bottom, then the meat sauce and cheeses but added some chopped spinach on the top, then more cheese. I would add more spices, perhaps salsa or chili powder and cumin. My photo reflects the spinach addition.
MY husband said "it's okay" and my kids said "can we have this every night". So I got mixed reviews on this. I liked it. It was easy. I added parmesan cheese to the noodle mix and mushrooms to the hamburg mix. Next time I will use less hamburg and more noodles.
I found this recipe so easy to make and very yummy! I used tomato salsa instead of the cans of tomato sauce and it was fine. Would be great for pot luck dinners.