Recipe by JanuaryBride
I received this from someone I don't even know in a recipe exchange. . too funny. . .but it's truly yummy as the title represents. Kids love it (and so do grownups). This recipe is made kid-friendly and mild, so if you prefer, feel free to jazz it up with spices such as garlic, onion, Italian Spices, Spike, Mrs. Dash or any other seasonings you like. You can also substitute out sausage for the beef. Bacon bits is another nice addition!
Top Review by Montana Heart Song
It was easy to make and for our family just ok. Perhaps a family with little ones would like it more. I cut the recipe in half. I had to make two different noodle dishes. I seasoned the ground meat with garlic, italian seasoning, salt and pepper and added the tomato sauce. I put the noodles and white sauce on bottom, then the meat sauce and cheeses but added some chopped spinach on the top, then more cheese. I would add more spices, perhaps salsa or chili powder and cumin. My photo reflects the spinach addition.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 8 ounces wide egg noodles
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup cottage cheese (can substitute 6 oz cream cheese if you like)
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook noodles as per directions on the package (in the past, I have tried whole wheat noodles and they tend to fall apart in the oven).
- Brown meat in butter (I like to season with garlic, onion and italian seasonings). Add in tomato sauce. Simmer on low for 10 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, combine cottage cheese, sour cream, and noodles. Season with salt and pepper.
- In 9x13 pan layer 1/2 of noodle mixture, all of meat sauce and then remaining 1/2 of noodles. Top with shredded cheese (use as much as you like, but 1 cup is usually a good amount) and bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.