Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Birthday cake that my grandmother used to make for my mom. It's a dense cake, that has a little bit of spice and tons of sweetness. Super easy and always good.
- 12 ounces raisins
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup coffee
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 cups flour
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Add the raisins, sugar, water, shortening, and cinnamon to a saucepan. On medium heat, bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes Stir occassionally to make sure raisins are not clumping together. Take off heat, and cool to room temperature.
- Add baking soda to coffee and mix into saucepan. Combine well.
- Add flour to saucepan. Mix with a whisk until smooth, batter will be runny.
- Pour batter into a greased and floured bundt pan.
- Cook for one hour, check with a toothpick. Cool for 15 minutes on a rack, and then invert onto a cakepake.
Very similar to my grandmother's recipe, also called Yum Yum cake - I think it's from the civil war. Our mother made it for all our birthdays growing up (10 children). Except our recipe uses more shortening, and also has cocoa in it. Still our favorite cake to this day! Also, has to have pink frosting to be real yum yum cake - what a nice surprise to find the same (almost) cake here!