Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is my favorite recipe for New Years Day Black Eyed Peas. This has lots of meat and veggies. I serve it with rice and sweet corn bread.
- 5 slices bacon, chopped
- 4 fresh garlic cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 lb smoked jalapeno sausage, sliced
- 1 fresh jalapeno, top cut off
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) package dried black-eyed peas, washed
- 1 (12 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 6 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 6 cups water
- Soak dried peas in water overnight. This is important because peas can taste like dirt if not presoaked. Drain and rinse.
- In a large pot, add peas, water, bacon, all the veggies, canned tomatoes, and spices.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium. Let cook for about 15 minutes and add the bouillon cubes.
- Let simmer for about an hour. Add sausage. Cook until peas are tender. Check to see if salt is needed.
- Serve with rice and corn bread.
Yum! Great flavor! Loved these for New Year's Day and am looking forward to the leftovers tomorrow. Made as directed except subbed 6 c chicken broth for the water and bouillon cubes. Also used Aidell's habanero and green chile chicken sausage which added some extra heat. We ate these as is but would be wonderful over rice. Thanks for sharing the recipe!