Recipe by Gillian Spence
This is best if you can barbecue the steak over coals (for a nice charred flavour), but you can also broil it. Most of these ingredients can be found in your grocery store in the Oriental section.
- 1 lb sirloin steak
- 1 teaspoon garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon palm sugar
- 2 teaspoons Golden Mountain seasoning sauce
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 8 small shallots, sliced thin
- 1 lemongrass
- 1 cucumber
- 1⁄4 cup mint sprig
Directions See How It's Made
- After cooking the steak, allow to cool and cut into thin slices.
- Pound or crush the garlic with the cilantro and stalks, pepper and palm sugar. Stir in the Golden Mountain sauce, lime juice, and fish sauce until smooth. Peel the shallots and slice very thinly. Using the tender, white portion of the lemon grass, slice very thinly. Peel the cucumber, score lengthwise with a fork, and slice thinly. Cut in half if the slices are large.
- Combine all ingredients, and toss lightly. If you prefer a spicy salad, seed and slice 2 or 3 red chilies and add to mixture.