Prep 1 hr
Cook 3 hrs
Admittedly, there is a decent amount of work involved here. The up-side is that this soooooo good and you get to eat one pastry and still have three to give away. Or eat them all - I won't tell. Cook time includes rising and is also a guess.
- 1 cup softened butter
- 2 cups lukewarm milk
- 2 tablespoons yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 8 cups flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup oats
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cold butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 -3 tablespoons milk or 2 -3 tablespoons cream
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup slivered almonds or 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup sliced almonds
- To make pastry:.
- Mix all pastry ingredients in a large mixing bowl only until will blended.
- Cover and let rise till doubled.
- Meanwhile, make fillings and toppings.
- For Cream Filling:.
- Heat milk in saucepan.
- Mix egg yolk into dry ingredients.
- Add a little warm milk to temper, then mix with heated milk.
- Stir and cook till thick.
- Remove from heat and cover with plastic wrap.
- For Almond Filling:.
- Mix all ingredients with until well blended.
- For Streusel Topping:.
- Mix all ingredients with fingers or pastry blender until mixture resembles course crumbs.
- For Almond Icing:.
- Combine powdered sugar with enought milk or cream to make a slightly runny icing.
- Add almond extract.
- Punch down dough.
- Divide dough into 4 equal parts.
- Using one portion of the dough, roll out into a rectangle on a lightly floured board.
- Spread 1/4 cream filling on each; then 1/4 almond filling.
- Roll up jelly-roll fashion.
- Cut about 10 slashes through top with a sharp knife.
- Repeat with remaining 3 portions of dough.
- Place each roll on greased cookie sheet.
- Shape into wreath or candy cane shape.
- Sprinkle with streusel topping.
- Let rise in a warm place till double in bulk.
- Bake at 375* for 20 minute.
- Drizzle with Almond Icing and sprinkle with almonds.